How often is the information on this page updated?

Most information is updated daily, though some services are updated weekly. Each entry specifies in the last column what date and time the information was last updated for that service.


Where can I get more information about each provider organization?

Each provider organization has the option to maintain a short information page, including a link to their website.  This is available by clicking the name of the provider organization on the "Available Beds" page.


What does “--” mean on the “Available Beds” page?

When you see "--" in place of a number, it simply indicates that this category doesn’t apply to this organization, or information is not available to be collected.


What does the waiting number mean on the “Available Beds” page?

  • For rows referring to “ED (BH – Waiting)”, waiting indicates the number of people who have been evaluated and are waiting in the Emergency Department of that hospital for a behavioral health inpatient psychiatric treatment bed or substance use detox bed. 
  • For substance use disorder Residential Treatment, waiting indicates the current number of individuals on a wait list for admittance into the program.


What if there are no available beds for substance use disorder Residential Treatment? 

Individuals seeking Residential Treatment to address a substance use disorder (SUD) should directly contact the SUD treatment providers that they are interested in receiving services from to be placed on the organization’s wait list for admission. You may still be able to be admitted to the program quickly even if there is an existing wait list, since discharges happen daily. In particular, people with certain characteristics can be prioritized for admission, and are encouraged to contact SUD treatment providers even if they currently have a wait list as they may qualify for expedited admission. Qualifying priority characteristics include: current pregnancy, injecting drug user, HIV positive or high risk, and tuberculosis positive or high risk. The SUD treatment provider can also offer interim services and supports.

A pregnant women seeking SUD residential treatment can be placed on a wait list. If immediate placement is not available, she can receive assistance in finding either interim services or the first available opening at another SUD treatment program. BHDDH can be contacted at 401-462-3056 if either options are not available within 24 hours.


Is there financial assistance available for Recovery Housing?

Individuals interested in being screened for financial support eligibility for Recovery Housing will need to contact the Rhode Island Hope and Recovery Hotline at 401-942-STOP (7867). Further information is available here.


How do I find behavioral health services?

Behavioral health providers work in hospitals, community mental health centers, substance use agencies, primary care practices, schools, colleges, and private practices. An important step to getting behavioral healthcare is finding a provider. There are different ways to do this:

  • Ask your Primary Care Provider (PCP). They may be able to screen and treat your problem, or provide referral assistance. Check with your insurance company to be sure they accept your insurance and are an in-network provider.
  • If you have commercial insurance, call the member services number on the back of your insurance card to get help finding in-network providers. You may also go to its website, or check your member handbook to find behavioral health providers in its network.
  • If you have Medicaid, call the member services number on the back of your insurance card to get help finding in-network providers.
  • You can also look at provider directories on the HealthSource RI website.
  • Call the Rhode Island BH Link Crisis Center: 414-LINK (414-5465). Spanish is available.
  • BHDDH provider directories:
  • Ask family, friends, or a trusted person in your community for suggestions and recommendations.
  • Go to the Zencare web-based referral service.
  • Use this interactive map to find a service provider near you.


What if I have a crisis?

A crisis may occur when you are feeling overwhelmed and your coping strategies are not working; you might be in trouble with the law; or you are thinking about injuring yourself or others. You may feel out of control or hopeless, or feel as though you are having trouble managing your medications. The most important thing you can do is to get in touch with someone who can help you.

Things you can do:

  • Call or visit RI’s 24/7 BH Link Crisis Center:

    BH Link is a statewide, confidential, one-stop, call-in, triage, treatment, and referral center for adults, 18 and
    older, who are experiencing a mental health or behavioral health crisis. Located at: 975 Waterman Avenue in
    East Providence, RIPTA Bus Route 34 or www.bhlink.org

    Call any day, anytime: 401-414-LINK (414-5465)

  • Call your doctor or mental health counselor
  • Call your pastor, priest, other faith-based leader
  • Call RI’s Hope and Recovery Line: 942-STOP
  • Call a Community Mental Health Center (English; Español)
  • Children under 18: Call Kids’ Link RI: 1-855-543-5465
  • Call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255)
  • Call the Trevor Project Lifeline: 1-866-488-7386
  • Call the Veteran’s Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255 press 1, or text 838255
  • Call 911